Alex began their journey in the world of scripted work with their mentorship at the Frank Theatre, which focused on poetry and playwriting. Since then, they’ve taken on mentorships at Gateway Theatre, The Arts Club, and Real Wheels Theatre. They owe much of who they are today, not just as a playwright but as a creator, to the Vancouver theatre scene, and remain infinitely grateful to it.
One of their first plays was a digital affair, known as The 2020 Group Project–a sort of freeze-frame of what being in university during 2020 was like, give or take a musical number. It was brought to life through Gateway Theatre.
Their other short play from this time, Grandma Boo’s House, was a fabulist tale of necromancy, intergenerational bonds, and the trauma of being forced to take on too much when you’re too young. It was workshopped and eventually performed through The Arts Club, at its LEAP Festival. In 2023, it was shortlisted at the Or Festival, as one of the Or Festival 4.
While Grandma Boo’s House was an unarchived one-night reading, The 2020 Group Project can be viewed in full below.
After thriving in the theatre scene, Alex also dove into the world of scripted visual and audio media. They were in the writer’s room for Infectious Love, a quarantine romantic comedy webseries by the LA-based JeanJacques Productions. Today, they’re in the writers’ room of Callistaria, an upcoming indie magical girl series, and they’re the script supervisor of Afterglow, an upcoming indie podcast from fellow Averno alumni about a town and the world where its dreams come to life.
Today, they’re working on Faye’s Room with The Arts Club, the one-act story of an autistic woman with the power to escape into her own pocket dimension whenever she’s overwhelmed–and what she does when a coworker ends up in there with her. It will premiere this spring.
- Grandma Boo’s House (performed in 2021 with The Arts Club through LEAP Playwriting Intensive)
- The 2020 Group Project (performed and recorded in 2020 with Gateway Theatre’s Creating in New Spaces; view it above!)
- Callistaria (Writer’s Room, Independent animated series, 2022-present)
- Afterparty (Script Supervisor, Independent, podcast, 2022-present)
- Infectious Love (Writer’s Room, JeanJacques Productions, 2020-present)
- LEAP Playwriting Cohort Level 2
- Real Wheels Playwriting Circle
- LEAP Playwriting Cohort Level 1
- Telling it Bent, Poetry and Playwriting
- Gateway Theatre, Creating in New Spaces