Alex got their first taste of poetry in high school, and they’ve been addicted ever since, diving headfirst into Vancouver’s poetry scene in 2020. They’ve found it to be invaluable as a tool of not just expression, but healing and connection.
Alex has also given back to the art form that’s given them so much–they’re an executive member of SFU Poetry Club, and a founding member of SFU We Were Here, a queer literary zine project meant to highlight the skills and achievements of queer SFU and FIC students. They’re also a member of Flaming Balloon Collective, a local youth poetry group that’s collaborated with IGNITE! Youth Festival, The Roundhouse, and more.
The subject matter of Alex’s poetry varies, but common themes include queerness, neurodivergence, nature, and recovery from one’s trauma.
- FORMZINE (2022)
- The Haven (2022)
- SFU’s The Lyre
- Care Collective Zine (2021)
- We Were Here Zine (2021)
- WMN Zine (2021)
- Flaming Balloon Press (2020)
- Train River Publishing: Summer 2020 Poetry Anthology (2020)
- IGNITE! Youth Festival (2020 & 2022)
- Gender Equality New York Transgender Day of Visibility (2022)
- SFU Theatre Student Union Cabaret: I Need to Tell You Something (2021)
- UBC Pride Picnic (2021)
- Vancouver Pride (2021)
- Paprika Festival x Social Distancing Festival’s COSMOCABARET (2021)
- Fringe Festival x Alley Theatre’s Judith Fair (2020)
- Vines Art Festival (2020)
- UBC Slam Poetry Instagram Showcase (2020)
- Silouan Hainsworth’s Delicacy & Defiance (2019)
(Alex also gave a very impromptu performance of their work at the Verses Festival of Words Stage to Page workshop, during an open jam!)
- International Scholastic Writing Awards: Gold Key in Poetry (2018)
- International Scholastic Writing Awards: Silver Key (Overall transcript) (2018)